This means just stopping! Stop doing stuff, stop overthinking and stop being constantly busy. We all need to spend more time being human beings rather than “human doings!” Doing nothing is okay. Being still, calm and embracing the breeze, the sounds of nature and simply listening to our breath, without doing anything will gently soothe our minds and our hearts. I intend to just BE!
I believe true reflection requires being honest with ourselves and asking good questions, including the difficult ones. I intend to do this whether lying in the sun, cycling around the European country side or sipping a chilled wine in a country pub.
Questions to ask ourselves as we spend time reflecting include:
- What currently works for me in my life, professionally and personally?
- What no longer serves me, or works for me?
- Are there practices, habits or people in my life who drain me, and make me feel bad about myself?
- What am I willing to change to improve myself and my life?
- What am I passionate about, what and who makes my heart sing with joy?
- How can I improve my practice of self-care without guilt or shame?
All of this can be summarised into one of the key practices of Third Space, which is asking ourselves the question in every situation every day:
How am I showing up?
This is the point at which you make decisions. A simple analogy is what I call the Traffic Light of Decisions. We need to decide:
- What do I need to stop doing, and who limits my ability to excel and enjoy life (Red light)?
- What works and do I need to do more of, or what can I change to improve my life (Amber light)?
- What do I need to start doing in my life that will bring greater joy and satisfaction (Green light)?
My intention in re-setting is that I return from this break refreshed, invigorated, enthusiastic and ready to tackle life’s challenges with energy, positivity and the desire to learn and contribute to our community every day.
I encourage each of you reading this, at the start of a new financial year and the second half of 2019, to:
- Just be, be still, enjoy your own company and the quiet moments
- Be present, in the moment, mindfully living each second
- Listen more, ask questions and talk less
- Reflect on your life, what works for you and what doesn’t; then be courageous and change what doesn’t bring you joy
- Work out what you need to do to reset and bring greater energy, satisfaction, joy and gratitude to your life and those whose lives you touch every day.
And remember, self-care is not selfish or shameful, it is critical to survival of self!
Here’s wishing all our clients, colleagues and friends a meaningful, successful and healthy financial year for 2019/2020.
Should you wish to make an enquiry or booking, regarding our coaching and consulting services, workshops or keynotes, please contact us through our website at www.avrilhenry.com.au or on (02) 9818-1892.